Sapperton is a village and civil parish in the Cotswold District ofGloucestershire in England, about 4.5 miles (7.2 km) west of Cirencester. It is most famous for Sapperton canal tunnel and its connection with theCotswold Arts and Crafts Movement in the early 20th century. It has a population of 424, reducing to 412 at the 2011 census.
The parish includes the villages of Sapperton and Frampton Mansell. The outlying hamlet of Daneway lies in the parish of Bisley, but is nearer to the village of Sapperton and often considered a part of it.
The Domesday Book of 1086 lists the village as Sapleton.
Sir Robert Atkyns, the county historian and author of The Ancient and Present State of Gloucestershire (1712), lived in the manor house of the village, now demolished, in the early 18th century. The manor was later acquired by the Bathurst family, who still own most of the village and land.
Most of the buildings in the eastern part of the village were built (or rebuilt) under the patronage of the Bathurst family in the Cotswold Arts and Crafts style. Upper Dorvel House and Beechanger, designed and built by the brothers Ernest (died 1925) and Sidney Barnsley (died 1926), and the Leasowes, built by their colleague Ernest Gimson (d. 1919) are to the north-east of the Church.
Norman Jewson (1884-1975), friend and associate of Gimson, and son-in-law to Ernest Barnsley, lived at Bachelors’ Court. His memoir, By Chance I did Rove (1952; twice reprinted) of village life and his association with the Gimson circle at the turn of the twentieth century is recognised as a minor classic of Cotswold literature.
Frampton Mansell lies in the valley of the River Frome, from which it takes its name. It was first mentioned, as Frantone, in the Domesday Book. In the 13th century the manor was held by the Maunsell family, from whom the second part of the name is derived.
It also has a village hall and pub together with the canal, river and railway which follow the valley down towards Stroud. The railway viaduct is a well known feature and the occasional steam excursions along the valley are a trainspotter’s highlight.
The village was known as Moises Frampton in the Domesday book.
St Luke’s Church in Frampton Mansell was built in 1843 by Lord Bathurst. It is a Neo-Norman conventicle church[clarify]designed by J. Parish. A set of five original stained glass windows within the apse are dedicated to Christ and the apostles Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. St Luke’s Church is an English Heritage Grade II Listed Building.